Friday, January 22, 2010

And to think.....having a Ph.D. isn't near enough education!!!!!


For Christmas Santa delivered this huge box with 1,000 lego peices in it.  The box stated on the outside "children 5 and up."   Santa knew that Caleb was 5 1/2 years old so this should be an appropiate age toy.  So on Monday we didn't hold school (MLK day) and decided it was time to open the big box and see what we could do with the contents.

The plan was to take all of this:


and make this:

So we pulled out the directions and started putting it together,
wait, I mean I started putting it together ~ then I took it apart
and started over.

Finally we got to a point where I could direct Caleb
on where to put the pieces:

Notice the laundry on the sofa waiting to be folded....
A long time ago someone told me the laundry will always be there -
the opportunity to play with your child won't -
I choose play instead of laundry - good choice!






Three hours later (YES, 3 HOURS LATER)  this is what we built:

And we were extremely proud of ourselves!!!
When I started working the project with Caleb I wasn't aware
that "5 and up" actually  meant "engineering degree."  I know that now.


Now the firetruck is waiting on the police car, motorcycle, fire station,
police station, etc. to be built so that there is a cute little "city" of  made by legos.
I still need to work on that Engineering degree - then we might construct the remaining peices.

For now the doctor is out......thinking seriously about obtaining that engineering degree!!!!




1 comment:

Lisa said...

Ha! We had the same problem . . . I mean experience! Zach got legos for his birthday. Harder than we thought, but some good mommy and son time. This reminds we need to do it again.