Sunday, February 21, 2010

It's 1, 2, 3 Strikes You're Out!!!!

My daddy put me on the softball field when I was about 6 or 7 years old. I didn't know which end of the bat to hold or where to stand (btw my daddy loved sharing that story!).   I didn't know about running bases, etc. But, I finally learned and enjoyed many years playing softball with kids from my school and neighborhood. My parents spent many evenings watching us play ball and sometimes stepping in to help coach. When my daughter was 6 I put her on the softball field and then became her coach. I coached her for 6 years. There is nothing like summer time and ball parks. We virtually lived there. I love sports. Most all sports.

Now my son is 5 (he will be 6 in April) and I put him on the ball field this past Saturday. He didn't know anything about the bat or how to catch a ball. His throw is not so great either. But he will learn and I soon found out he has a hidden talent for baseball.
One of the Coaches showing Caleb where to stand, how to watch for the ball, etc.


I think he looks so tiny out there!!! 

Caleb is on the small side - um, let me rephrase that - he is super small for his age!!! He is not the youngest person on his team but he is the smallest. Most of the other boys are at least a head taller than he is.

One of the first things the coach did was to have them run bases. A couple of little boys started out and then Caleb started his run around the bases. The coach paced each boy before having the next run. Caleb was almost to 1st base when the boy behind him began to run.....as Caleb came up to 2nd base the little boy behind him was in front of him, as Caleb came up to 3rd base, the other little boy behind him was in front of him, and by the time he hit home plate about 4 boys had passed him up. Caleb is not a slow runner.....he just has short little legs that couldn't keep up with the longer legs of others. I have to say it was extremely funny to watch and oh I felt so bad for my little guy running his heart out and then being left behind.

His first day out he learned how to catch the ball - yes he missed quite a few but he got the handle of it. Then it was time to come to the plate for batting practice....I just cringed....I hated the thought of him missing every ball pitched to him (by a pitching machine 37 mph) - the laugh was on me -- Caleb swung and missed the first two pitches and then BAM!!! He connected and wow what a connect - I was almost reduced to tears (not really - I was jumping up and down yelling for my little guy!). Then came the next pitch - BAM!! And then the next pitch -- BAM!!! WOW!!! My baby can hit the ball!!! Now he just needs to know that you run to first after you hit the ball!!!

Coach showing Caleb how to hold the bat, swing, etc.

Getting ready to connect with the ball.
I put the camera away after the first couple of missed swings.
Shame on me.....I missed getting a shot of Caleb connecting with the ball!!!

For now the doctor is out.......anticipating the very first game, the cheering, the excitement.....um, the heat, the humidity...maybe the doctor should rethink this.....nahhhh, it will be worth it!!!!


No comments: