Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Great Cricket Caper

Caleb spends a lot of time at his aunt Mimi's house He loves spending time with his cousins but sometimes they can get a little tired of entertaining him.   While at Mimi's house, Caleb begs his cousins to go outside with him while he catches crickets for his little bug catcher. Well, the past couple of weeks the heat index has been above 100 degrees here and it is HOT outside.  However, this doesn't  bother Caleb in the least, but his cousins agree it is hot and they try to get him to come inside as much as possible.

The other day I went to pick him up from Mimi's house but he also wanted his cousin, Kristen, to come home and spend the night at his house so they could catch more bugs....um, yeah, that was very enticing to Kristen!!!    So when Caleb asked Mimi if Kristen could come over for the night she said "no not tonight" and then he asked me - of course I agreed  - not tonight.   But that wasn't enough for Caleb....he proceeded to tell Kristen that if she really wanted to come over she could SNEAK into the back of my Explorer to go home with us.   Being the honest person she is Kristen told me of his plan and her own plan which went something like this:


Me: (getting into the driver's seat) "Oh wow, Caleb you are already buckled up and ready to go"

Caleb:  "yep, I have been waiting for you"   as he smiles very big.

Me: (put the truck in reverse and backs out of the drive)....."umm, something is wrong with  my truck....it feels heavier than it normally does...."

Caleb: "no, it doesn't.  just go home"

Me:  "No, something is definitely wrong here.....my truck is heavier that it should be"

Caleb:   (with his worried look)  "no mom, I caught a lot more crickets  - they are in the back - that is why your truck is heavy, just go home"

Me:   "I don't think that is it, maybe I need to look back there to see why it is heavy."

As I climb out of my truck to look in the back Caleb puts his head in the palms of his hands with the defeated look of  oh, crap now I am busted and then says to Sarah "I don't want her to look back there!!!!"     Because at this point he realizes that I am going to find Kristen in the back of my truck (which I do and then go on to play Kristen's game of getting caught in the act).  Kristen meekly looks at Caleb, shrugs her shoulders and says, " Caleb, I am sorry I guess I can't go home with you" as she stifles her huge smile of relief that she doesn't have to go home with him and help him catch crickets for his bug catcher. As Kristen was going inside of the house I asked her if she was worried that I wasn't going to stop (since I did drive out of the drive way and down the road just a little) and she kind of smiled sheepishly and said, yeah I thought maybe you were going to make be walk a ways back up the road.....of course I would never do that to her.....afterall, this was her little plan of getting out of having to catch crickets with Caleb!!!

For now the doctor is out......releasing those poor crickets back into the grass so they can RUN, RUN, RUN,  far away from Caleb!!!!

No comments: