Wednesday, February 13, 2008

San Francisco Treat

I have been in San Francisco for a day and a half now. We got in yesterday afternoon and got settled into our hotel room to rest from a long day of flying since we had 2 layover stops. I took advantage of my time to get caught up on grading for my two classes. They were complaining because I had gotten behind due to illness and sporadic internet service.

Today, we had the morning off before our meetings so a colleague (Lola) and I did the tour thing this morning. Actually I was her tour guide since I have been here several times. We rode the cable cars down to the wharf and looked around. We also went to Ghirardelli chocolate factory (favorite place!). Then we rode cable cars back up to Lombard Street (this is a very crooked street that goes down, down, down or up, up, up, depending on your direction). After that we went to China town and walked around. Lola loves to shop (so I was in great company since I love to shop as well), so we shopped and shopped!!!

The afternoon brought on the meetings. DULL, DULL, and DULL. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

After our meetings Lola and I went to the Macy's around the corner to do some shopping (surprised, right). Well we did find some very good bargains at 75% off. I actually got a sweater vest that was originally $70 for $12 - not so bad. As we were leaving the store we got stopped in the cosmetic section by this fun looking guy selling a new brand of up and coming cosmetics (from California of course). Salesman begins to tell us the cosmetics are all natural (vegan to be exact), then all of a sudden he pulls out some lipcolor for me and begins applying it; then brings out the eye makeup and virtually is giving me a little make over (which turned out pretty good I must say). But, then he pulls out the make up for Lola and as he tells us the name of each product I get a new life lesson. He first decides to apply the color "chronic" to her eyes (in my oblivious mind I am thinking ok, this is a weird name for a eye shadow color) when Lola starts laughing out loud (she has been a school teacher for 35 years) and remarks to salesman "you're putting good pot on my eyes!" I am totally clueless!!! She has to explain to me that "chronic" is a term used for a good mixture of "pot" - she learned this from her students! He is actually surprised that she knows the term. Then he informs her that he is applying the color "blunt" to her eyes as well. Again, I am clueless and just thinking these are wierd color names. Lola is laughing again. Apparently "blunt" is a large joint made from cigar paper. I am thinking how appropriate for San Francisco - home to the Haight Ashbury era!

One thing I love about San Francisco are the restaurants!!!! Oh, food, wonderful, delicious, tasty treats!!! We went to a wonderful, fun, Italian restaurant yesterday (and I am not talking Olive Garden!) and then today we went to John's Grill, which is a setting in the movie Maltese Falcon. Can't wait to see where we end up for dinner tomorrow evening. For now, the doctor is out...relishing her San Francisco treats (a new makeover and great restaurants!).

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm jealous!

mimisuu said...

Oh, you just enjoy your little treat! Mine is next. I think you can keep my little ones for a week while I play!!!!!!