Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas Decorating With a 4 Year Old!!!

We have always had the tradition of putting up the tree the day after Thanksgiving but this year Caleb was sick on Thanksgiving and on Friday so I thought well we can put it up on Saturday but he was still sick and still sick on Sunday....what is going on here??? On Monday he was diagnosed with MONO - ok, so no wonder he was not feeling well and running a strong temp!!! But on Tuesday he seemed to be much better and I was at home with him all day since my sister, Mimi, couldn't watch him for me so that I could go into the office (it is nice to have such a wonderful new job with flexibility of being able to work at home!). So what to do with a 4-yr old who is feeling better but confined to the house until he isn't contagious anymore?????? I know let's go ahead and put the tree up!!!

Putting the tree up in our house is a big deal for me!!! I am a Christmas tree snob of the worst kind! I am a perfectionist with the tree. My family used to find tons of things to do on Christmas tree day just so they didn't have to be around me while I griped about this and that trying to get my tree to perfection. Perfection included me stringing around 1000 to 12o0 lights (white lights only) on that tree. This would take me about 8 hours to do. Then I would begin putting on the decorations placing them with symmetry!!! STOP LAUGHING!!! I know that I have a Christmas Tree problem and I have since gotten help for it!! I am still anal about it but I have learned to let go of a few things. I used to work for Dillards Dept Stores in the Visual Section and learned the art of Christmas tree lights/decoration during that time - so I guess that sort of contributed to my quirks about Christmas trees.

Another quirk I have about my tree is that it needs to have a theme. When I was a single mom with Sarah we always made our decorations for the tree -- but they also had a theme - I know crazy huh? Well, there came a time when I could afford to buy the theme that I always wanted: A Mauve Victorian Christmas theme. I would hit the after Christmas sales to collect every ornament that I wanted to adorn that tree and now I have this wonderful collection of Victorian ornaments but after 10 years of the same theme I decided it was time for a change so I started buying the Santa theme ornaments and that has been my them for the past few years.

So today Caleb and I began the arduous task of putting up the tree. I don't do lights anymore....I bought a pre-lit tree which saves my sanity now. However, I am still quite anal about the ornaments and what goes on the tree. I have learned some patience since I do have a 4 yr old who wants to do "everything" and that included putting the tree together.


Notice the pj's---- he has decided that since he can't go anywhere there is no need to get dressed!!


Like I said, he wanted to be a part of every detail including straightening out the branches, however, I was afraid he was going to topple off the table into the tree, but he didn't.


I finally talked him out of helping with the top section but then he got a hold of the camera and took a fairly decent picture!!

Once we began putting the ornaments on he placed his precisely where he wanted them -- all together in the same area.


You know I am going to move them when he isn't looking......

Eventually he got bored with the tree and began working with the cardboard ornament holders --- yes, I can get those ornaments where they MUST be in order to have that almost perfect tree --- hey, I am still working on this problem!





The finished product with a few flaws....oh well.

Once we got the tree decorated we started on the other decorations. I have collected International Santas for the past 15 years so we unwrap them and put them on the piano.

Caleb wanted to open them and place them on the piano....you know when he isn't looking I am going to change it....yea, I do.


Yes, Caleb took this picture of his own handy work - lined up all together on the key cover of the piano!!!



Then we hung our stalkings on the mantle and added our nutcrackers. Also, on the mantle this year I added my temple ornaments. These ornaments are very special to me since they were given to me by my sister-in-law who passed away almost 4 years ago. I am so glad that I can set them out and remember her at this time of the year.


We ended our decorating with the nativity scene. This was a very special time for Caleb and I since we stopped everything and talked about each piece and why it is so important. It was at this moment that I was able to let go of everything else and reflect on the TRUE meaning of Christmas - it's not that perfect tree, or the collection of Santas, or the presents under the tree, no it is so much more than that.....the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and the significance of all that He has done for us. I hope that Caleb grasps this meaning rather than all of the other "silly" things that come along with Christmas.

He still wanted to group them all together --- yes, I did move them.....shame on me!

For now the doctor is out......searching for that Christmas tree fanatics annonymous meeting in order to overcome that silly obsession of perfect Christmas tree decorating.

1 comment:

Adam and Cassie Pierson said...

How fun! You are so good to decorate... my poor children get a tree this year and that is about it. Maybe you should come to my house. :)