Friday, October 15, 2010

Food on a stick......dipped, battered, and fried.....

Every year, usually the 1st couple of weeks in October, the state fair comes to town.  I LOVE THE FAIR!!! My mom tells me that she walked around the fair 2 days before I was born just to get her labor going.....I keep going back every year!!!     

I remember as a child my dad loading us all up to go to the fair....walking around, riding rides, and going to the rodeo.   Then later as teens he would take a bunch of us and drop us off to enjoy the fair with our friends (unfortunately you can't do that these days).

 Then when I moved Sarah and myself back to here from CA I would bundle her up and off we would go to ride the rides and take in the fun stuff.  Life at the fair became even better after I met sweet hubby.  Sweet hubby had connections.......you know, the best kind of connections......food on a stick connections  (friends who owned concession stands at the fair).  I mean hey, that is what the fair is all about isn't it ....that food on a stick kind of thing!!!   And, here lately it is anything that can be battered, dipped and fried on a stick....oreos, snickers, twinkies, potatoes, gator, you name it and they can put it on a stick and fry it. 

Over the years our traditional of going to the fair and getting food on a stick has continued.  Sweet hubby and I spent years taking Sarah and Josh to the fair and now we are enjoying taking Caleb to the fair.  When Sarah went away to college at BYU she missed out on going to the fair with us, but sweet hubby fixed her up with a taste of the fair......sweet hubby bought a four pack of homemade cinnamon rolls (Sarah's favorite thing from the fair) and he then took this package and OVERNIGHTED it to her at BYU!!!!  Those were the most EXPENSIVE cinnamon rolls ever but Sarah LOVED getting them.   She has missed many years of the fair since but we think of her as we walk past the cinnamon roll booth.   One of my favorite years was when the fair came right after getting my braces off after several years......I told sweet hubby the first thing I wanted was corn on the cob (on a stick!!)..   It was sooo good!!!   Sweet hubby has a great love for that apple dip in caramel on a stick!

Caleb isn't much on cinnamon rolls or the other food on a stick but he loves the rides and getting a slice of pizza at the fair.  Sweet hubby and I took Caleb on Thursday evening and met up with my Kristen, Bailey, Bryan, and my 2 brothers for an evening of riding the rides.
On Friday morning, my sister and I took the kids back (for kiddie day)
so we could see the exhibits and animals.   Lots of fun both times.
I had to use my iphone for pictures since the battery was dead on the camera!!! 


Sweet hubby and Caleb eating nachos










Caleb getting ready for the kiddie bungie jump!




Caleb and Kristen looking at the fish exhibit.

Caleb loved the petting zoo.
It is so hard to believe the fair will run it's course this weekend and we will have to wait another year to see what new food on a stick item that can be dipped, battered and fried up for the many who will come out to consume it.....yum, yum......
For now the doctor is out.......wondering if she can come up with a great "food on a stick" to sell at the fair next year and make her millons in the process.....ummmm, any suggestions??????



No comments: