Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I need my diet coke!

When I met sweet hubby he was an ademant diet coke drinker. Diet coke for breakfast, lunch, dinner and all times between. He believed we were a match made in heaven since I too was a diet coke drinker. Sweet hubby must have diet coke the minute he awakes....absolutely must have it to function! Not to be outdone by sweet hubby, I too have that "I must have my diet coke" to function mentality as well. I mean who can get through their morning without a Sonic Route 44? Call me crazy but I will dig, and I mean dig, through the coins I drop in the cubby of my truck to come up with enough to get that Route 44. AND, do you know the greatest thing ever...Sonic happy hour...oh, yeah baby, half price route 44's.....nothing better than that!!!



Well, you know all of that is great for two middle aged people who are empty nesters, but oh, wait, we aren't empty nesters anymore....we have a four year old! Oh, yes, one morning I got up early and walked into our kitchen only to observe that sweet hubby was sharing his morning diet coke with Franklin who was about a year and a half at the time!!!!!!! What the heck are you doing giving a baby diet coke??? Well, that was just the beginning. Now Franklin loves his diet coke as much as sweet hubby and I do. It is horrible!!!! One night for dinner I made a quick trip to KFC for Franklin and myself (KFC doesn't have diet coke - they are pepsi people). So I just got a small pepsi along with the kid's meal thinking I would just drink that, only Franklin asked for his diet coke and I pointed the pepsi and told him he could have a drink of that.....spewww, spitt, yuk!!!! That isn't diet coke!!!! I am shocked that this child can take the pepsi challenge and tell the difference between the two drinks... Another thing he can do is tell you that the diet coke is old....sweet hubby has a bad habit of pouring a glass of diet coke and leaving it on the counter coming back later to drink it (sweet hubby doesn't care if it has lost the fizz, or isn't super cold, he will drink it) but Franklin will take a sip and go yuk this isn't fresh!

Well, yesterday was a holiday and the day before Sunday....so needless to say our stash of diet coke was running low and then with the holiday and people at our house we found ourselves without diet coke for the morning. Franklin got up this morning and wanted a drink of diet coke only there wasn't any!!!! OH, MY GOSH!!!!!!! You would have thought the world was coming to an end!!! Franklin cried and cried and cried and cried and cried some more.... He would not get ready for school ....I mean there was no amount of cuddling, sweet talking, or threats that could console this child. I have decided that I am a horrible mother......I let my child get ADDICTED TO DIET COKE!!!!!!!!

Until next time, the doctor is out....wondering if there is a diet coke anonymous for us addicted souls....could it be a 28 day program or a 6 month program.....

4 comments:

Sarah said...

The detox should start with the parents...

mimisuu said...

Mike says it is payback for teaching Taylor to walk for diet coke!

Bailey said...

We have the same issue in our house. I am a diet coke freak and now Maddy is as well. She tries to drink sprite but always comes back to my diet coke. She would much rather drink a diet coke then sprite! Crazy kids!!

Trish said...

That's hilarious! We should start a group. I always have a Diet Dr. Pepper while I get ready in the morning and have to drink them all day. I keep 12 packs stashed in my trunk because I'm too paranoid to leave them in the fridge at work. Luckily, Gabby hasn't discovered the absolute joy of a Diet Dr. Pepper. Frankliln is too cute sucking down that Route 44!